Friday, January 9, 2015

I am


I am ….
Older than my age, sass in a dress, laughter and curly hair.
An old pair of tennis shoes that have been on every run.
Only child to a spunky red head who has never grown up, and never will.
Warm summer night, laying in the grass, looking up at the stars, while crickets are chirping.
Playbills, sheet music, and scripts stuffed inside a cabinet, holding on to past shows
Bible full of sticky notes, highlighted in every color, tattered from camp, pencil marking in every margin.
A Power Ranger costume and American Girl dolls packed away in the attic.
Raspberry Tea on a Sunday, ham, spinach, and mayo sandwich for lunch every day, the exclusive taste of sushi and cashew chicken on special occasion.
Suitcase and back pack, crowded in an airplane ready for the next trip
Waiting to take on the world, becoming a Bulldog, seeing what Nebraska has in store.  

3 comments:

  1. You are "sass in a dress" and I love that! I can relate to your memories of church camp and highlighted passages...takes me back to the summers of my middle school and high school years and all the (boy!)friends I made there. I am excited for you as you "take on the world" and head north to be Bulldog. You will do great. Thanks, Beatrice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like this poem, you did a great job describing yourself! When I read the line about your bible it brought back a lot of memories of church camp together! Warm summer nights are also a favorite of mine and I also tend to be older than my age at times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can totally relate to the line "playbills, sheet music and scripts stuffed inside a cabinet" because I have way too many as well. I love the variety in your descriptions and the way you included every part of yourself. The line "sass in a dress" encompasses you perfectly! I can't wait to see what else you write!

    ReplyDelete