Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Terry’s Auto Service & Towing


“Clear skies and a warm 82 degrees for today,” says the radio host. My friends and I are headed to St. Pete’s Beach for a little fun in the sun. We’re bopping along to our favorite song when all of the sudden we hear
“cherrrg” followed by a “thunk”. After pulling over to the shoulder I look around to my friends only to see confused faces looking back at me. Sam hops out of the car to see what’s going on with the car. There wasn’t a scratch on the car, so he checked the engine. He couldn’t figure out what was wrong with the car. We didn’t know what to do, we were stranded. Shelby suggested to take the back roads so we would get there faster. Great idea that turned out to be. Kyle remembered that his uncle owned a service and towing place. He called his uncle Terry and Terry said they will be there in an hour.
Since it was going to be an hour wait we decided to explore. After a half mile of walking we found an old house hidden by long shards of grass. Kyle insisted that we go in, even though the house looked like it could crumble at any minute. The living room was very small, it only held a couch and a chair. On the mantle above the fire place was a picture of a family: father, mother, 3 boys and 2 girls. The furniture and the picture looks like it dates back to the 1920’s. Shelby comes in from the kitchen holding a mason jar and dumps its contents in front of us onto the table. “It’s a letter” Sam exclaimed. ” We all do a quick scan. The person who signed the letter had the same last name as Kyle. “Hey Kyle come here,” I call to the back of the house. “Yeah”? “This guy has the same last name as you, do you know anyone with the name Johnathan Jerry”? “Yeah that’s my dad’s name, but he’s Jonathan Jerry the third”. “Oh my goodness do you know what this means!? This could be a letter from your great grandpa.” “No way, what’s the letter say?” It’s talking about starting up a business with trucking. If the business gets started it says who would take care of what and how far the business should go. “We should probably start heading back towards the car now”, suggests Shelby.
When we get back to the car Kyle's uncle Terry is there waiting for us. Kyle shows him the letter we found from his great grandfather. “My grandfather always wanted to start a truck towing company he thought it would be a great way to make money. When the stock market crashed in the 30’s so did his business plan. When I was little I would go over to his house and play on his truck, pretending I would help people fix their cars. That’s why I have my auto service and towing company today. In a way it like it’s my grandfather company too”, Terry told us. Terry ending up keeping the letter, framing it and hanging it up in his office.



1 comment:

  1. I'm curious about the "Don Wel--" on the scrap you found--I have a big collection of "found" notes and writing I've picked up over the years and always imagine the narrative possibilities surrounding each. I like how you've showcased the unspoken, maybe even subconscious, connection between grandson and great-grandfather and how an early childhood experience shaped a lifelong love and business Terry. Thanks, Beatrice!

    ReplyDelete