Thursday, February 19, 2015

The Famous First and Last Line

"It was a fine cry-loud and long- but it had no bottom and it had no top, just circles and circles of sorrow."

Sula was written by Toni Morrison. Morrison was born February 18, 1931 and is still living today. The year her book was published she was a single mother of two children and working at  Howard University. 

Sula takes place between World War I and World War II. It's about two African American girls live's starting out when they are young and ending when they are well in age. One girl grows up and gets married the other girls moves away and sleeps here and there. 

I would honestly not read this book. I am more into comedies and this book seems far from that. The ending line in this book is depressing and I rather not find out why. This book would be better for someone who enjoys historical books. 

   

3 comments:

  1. This does sound like it could be depressing, I completely understand why you don't want to read it. I try to stay away from sad books too; its so much more enjoyable to read something that makes you laugh instead of cry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this book in grad school and it was heartbreaking...but I did like it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The setting of this book sounds interesting--between two huge wars. I think I might like to read this, because I do like bitter-sweet books.

    ReplyDelete